Buying or leasing an electric vehicle? Get a free upgrade to a home smart charger
Be part of the electric nation community
If you’re buying or leasing an electric vehicle (EV) – including pure electric and plug-in hybrid – you’re invited to become part of the Electric Nation community. If you join Electric Nation you will get a free* smart charger. The Electric Nation project is trialling a smart charging solution so you’ll also be helping to make sure our electricity networks can cope with the increasing numbers of electric vehicles expected in the future. Participation in the Electric Nation trial will be limited to those living in the Midlands, South West and South Wales.
Electric nation is trialling a solution to manage ev charging challenges
The UK electricity system has sufficient capacity to deliver energy to electric vehicles, however recent research suggests that if clusters of EVs develop in local areas and they’re all charged simultaneously then some local electricity networks may require costly reinforcement.
A smart charging system, such as the one being trialled in Electric Nation, could alleviate the stress on the electricity network caused by clusters of EVs charging at the same time.
Electric Nation is recruiting 500 to 700 people buying or leasing any model of EV (including pure electric or plug-in hybrid) to take part in the largest trial of its kind.
Trial participants will get a free* smart charger installed
- This smart charger is one of the latest, most intelligent on the market
- It can give you data on your charging history
- The smart charger will be capable of providing demand control services, including altering the rate of charging of your car
- The smart charger has a power rating of 7kW, which can charge an EV up to twice as fast as a 3kW home charge point, if the vehicle is capable of being charged at this rate
- The smart charger is much faster and safer than charging from a domestic three pin socket
- It will have the latest functionality as software updates can be carried out remotely
- Issues with your smart charger can be diagnosed and often fixed remotely.
The smart charger is yours to keep after the end of the Electric Nation trial.
What will the trial involve?
- Trial participants will charge their vehicles using the smart charger provided when they need to charge their EV at home. The smart charger may reduce or pause charging from time to time, albeit with the aim of providing the charge that you need to use your EV.
- Some participants will have access to a mobile device app which allows them to enter information about their journey preferences and receive information about when they’ve charged their car and any times when their charging may be controlled.
- Participants will be required to take part in customer research designed to investigate their experience of owning an EV and of charging it, including the acceptability of the charge control solution. This will take the form of surveys and interviews.
About Electric Nation
The Electric Nation project aims to provide local electricity network operators with the tools to ensure that their networks can cope with charging increasing numbers of electric vehicles, whilst avoiding the expense and disruption of digging up roads to replace cables.
*Subject to eligibility and conditions, please see the Electric Nation website for more information
Find more information and check eligibility